Kirby Barry is the Managing Partner of Barry Conge Bond LLP and has practiced law in the oil and gas industry for over 40 years.
With an extensive background in the energy field, both onshore and offshore, Kirby has advised oil and gas companies at all phases of development, ranging from preparation of agreements to financing and litigation.
His experience extends to advising in regulatory matters, as well as drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements for the acquisition and divesture of oil and gas assets.
Kirby began his oil and gas practice in New Orleans in 1977, working in the litigation section of the Law firms of Jones, Walker, Waechter, Poitevent, Carrѐre & Denѐgre L.L.P. and Phelps Dunbar L.L.P. He later gained broad experience in the oil and gas industry in the Law Department at Gulf Oil Corporation, practicing in both offshore and onshore areas, as well as in oil and gas marketing.
Upon his transfer to Houston, Kirby not only became the senior attorney responsible for the legal support of Gulf Oil’s Houston Division (covering the geographical area of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama), but also served as the attorney for Gulf Oil’s Alaska task force. Following his career with Gulf Oil, Kirby provided domestic and international legal support for oil and gas operations at Kaneb Services, Inc., then joined TOTAL Minatome Corporation (a wholly owned affiliate of TOTAL, SA) in 1987 as General Counsel, Vice President of Land, and Secretary, remaining there until its sale at the end of 1998. While at TOTAL, he served as a member of the company’s senior management team, in addition to providing legal support for the oil and gas exploration and production company. As Vice President of Land, he was responsible for the Land, Division Order and Lease Records Department. Kirby has remained in the private practice of law since leaving TOTAL and appreciates both the vitality of the oil and gas sector and the opportunity to contribute to this essential and dynamic industry.
- Worked in the Gulf Oil Corporation Legal Department, 1977-1983.
- Provided legal support at Kaneb Services, Inc., 1983-1987.
- Served as General Counsel, Vice President of Land, and Secretary at TOTAL Minatome Corporation, 1987-1998.
- Represented a private equity-backed company focused on enhanced oil recovery strategies in the acquisition of CO2 reserves in the McElmo Dome in Southwest Colorado.
- Represented several entities of a privately owned exploration and production company in their exploration and production projects, due diligence projects, curative work cleaning up remnants of a large Eagle Ford Shale transaction and litigation; supervised the due diligence projects of several major energy companies and formation of new companies for their operations in Virginia and West Virginia, and for the acquisition of oil, gas, and pipeline assets in the aforementioned states and other Appalachian region states.
- Represented a private oil and gas companies in their various oil and gas operations, and in the divestment of their assets.
- Handled various issues relating to an exploration and production company’s Louisiana oil and gas operations, including the substantial divestment of its interest in an oil field in Vermillion Parish, Louisiana.
- Represented a group of companies in several divestment projects, conducted extensive title work, and provided various other advice pertaining to their oil and gas operations.
- Resolved a dispute involving controversies over certain Louisiana properties belonging to a privately held independent oil and gas company, and assisted the company with agreements involving its Louisiana exploration ventures.
- Represented an exploration and production company’s entities in disputes in Louisiana.
- State Bar of Texas
- Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Houston Mariners Club
- The Petroleum Club of Houston
- Petroleum Landmen’s Association of New Orleans
- American Association of Professional Landmen
- Houston Association of Professional Landmen
- Texas Bar Foundation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Agreements for Drilling a Prospect,” Burleson Cooke Continuing Education Series, March 31, 2009
- “Bashing Energy Industry Bad for America,” Houston Business Journal, February 8, 2008